Old 05-28-21, 04:38 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
Yes.

I have small punctures which the sealant seals, approximately once a month, and large punctures that need to be patched, approximately once a year.

To only need a puncture repair approximately once a year is a real benefit.

With the amount of riding I have been doing recently, I wear out the back tire in a little over a year. The front tire lasts a little longer. So I am talking about one puncture repair in the life of the tire.

The future is unknown. There is a possibility I might have a bad run, with a lot of large punctures in a short time.

I know, different people ride in different environments, and have different numbers of punctures.
Well since running road tubeless with sealant I haven’t had a single puncture in 18 months. The tubeless tyres I’m running are pretty tough though, so that does help a lot. I don’t think the sealant has had to do any work yet, other than seal around the tyre beads.

One thing I’ve always liked about tubeless tyres is the ability to plug them from the outside if you do get a large puncture that the sealant can’t handle. I’ve only ever had to do that with mtb tyres when not running any sealant on Mavic UST rims. Much quicker than changing a tube. But since running sealant I’ve never had to plug any holes since.