View Single Post
Old 06-23-21, 11:20 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
I too love the Corsa G+ (the earlier pre-tubeless ready version of the Graphenes). (Although I will be going back to to dinosaur treads aka tubulars. Very likely still the Vittoria Gs. And my stash of clincher G+ are likely to last until I have the wheels to go tubular.) I rode Vittoria $15 cottons as training tires as a racer many moons ago under quite a variety of labels. I took the ribbed tread completely for granted. Then they disappeared in the early '80s and I never saw a ribbed tread again until the G+s. My all-time favorite tread. Got reminded first ride.

I carry - 2 tubes, patchkit, 2 tire irons (plastics? ) and sometimes boots. I put the tubes in a sock. Protects them and makes stuffing them into the far end of the tool bag a lot easier.

I always make it a point to have 5 bills or more in my wallet. I've used that many to jury rig a boot for a huge tire slash to get home. Laundered them and spent as if new. (For big cuts, you can extend the bills past the beads so they get pinched down when the tire is mounted. Now they are acting as structural cord. US dollar bills are very strong, but here, using several is appropriate.) Those bills have bailed me out in other ways a time or two also.

I've heard the same stories as shared by the poster above re: flats and the G Speed tires. The regular Gs hae served me very well. They aren't magic. They still wear out and I still get flats but the combination of wear, flats, wonderful feel and grip in a tire that is not heavy - well I used to have to ride very expensive tubulars to get that. (I'm going back to tubbies for a very different reason - peace of mind. I've blown a clincher and had it come off the rim and jam in the seatstay. 25 mph. Collarbone, ribs, helmet on both sides and and acre of road rash. I don't want to do that at 40+ in this lifetime. By contrast, I've blown sewups at ~45 and it was so uneventful I do not remember when or where.)
Likes For 79pmooney: