Old 04-25-18, 10:47 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
You are absolutely right, I firmly believe all this was set up back in the early 70's when Merz and Newlands started to really get after it in earnest with DiNucci's help and a host of others, Neil Cernitz, David Feldman and many others. Bruce Gordon came to Eugene for 10 years as well and add to the mix so much of this was in the works for a long time with a lot of momentum laying the groundwork for all that we have now.

Originally Posted by ryansu
I was in PDX From 73 to 83, grade school through HS and then part time while in College through 86. I was in the burbs and not an avid cyclist so my bike awareness isn't what it is now. I agree that the velodrome has a long history, but I was more referring to the explosion of frame builders, parts builders and bike infrastructure in the last 30+ years. As a Seattleite I find Portland to be way ahead of the curve for cyclists by comparison. I used to take the train (with my bike) to visit my folks and I could go from downtown near the Amtrak station to close to Clackamas high school (Original location on Webster rd) with light rail or bike path/lane the entire way except for about 100 feet. I also have done a few Sunday Parkways rides in the Rose city and wish there was something as cool in Seattle. (Sunday lake Washington Blvd for bikes only in the summer is nice but not the same)