View Single Post
Old 08-17-22, 06:15 AM
tessellahedron

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bboy314
Is the axle held together by the cone? I think this “fix” will be very short lived.
I suspect the skewer will fail long before the cone fractures in the radial plane, but ultimately I concur.

Originally Posted by jccaclimber
5. I know a lot of people who have ridden a hub with a broken axle for an undetermined amount of time, but there's always the risk of the skewer breaking (and sudden departure of the wheel from where it should be). Additionally, you aren't doing the inside of your hub any favors with the cones being non-coaxial while that's happening.
I've heard that too, plus the broken axle had 25 miles on it before I even knew, and it shows.

based on my experience I'd say having the skewer adjusted fairly tight reduces the risk of catastrophe upon axle breakage. I am curious if there's a way to prevent the chain jumping for any reason, because I've almost eaten it hard more than once when the chain jumped right as I stood up.

I'm gonna put ten gentle miles on it right now and see how the bearing hold up. It's acting like a freshly rebuilt hub. The wheel is spinning with less drag or play than I've ever seen but if anything falls out of alignment I'll be getting a great workout changing the color of the breathing balls.

if I end up walking I'm ordering a new bike today, thought what I really want are cones and an axle that fit, in addition to a 2nd bike.