Old 12-15-21, 03:11 PM
sdimattia

Bikes: Wabi Classic, Bombtrack Hook, Bombtrack Tension, Vitus Substance

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Touring-curious

Definitely interested in doing some bike touring, on pavement first and then some off-road too. I'd like to work up to biking across the USA and eventually do a ride through Europe (and beyond). I currently have a 2021 Trek Domane AL and a '01 Trek 6700. Would either of these bikes be suitable touring rigs?

I have a lot of lightweight gear from backpacking so if it'd be better to get a more "touring oriented" bike, I could put that money towards a new bike. I was considering either the Bombtrack Beyond 1 or the Niner RLT 9 Steel. These are two of the few bikes that come in my size (44-48cm) which is why I'm considering them. I'm also vertically challenged which is a whole other thing, trying to find bags that'll fit and whatnot.

TLDR: Could the Domane AL or Trek 6700 be a usable touring bike for 3 day to 3 month excursions? Or should I consider getting a more touring oriented bike such as the Bombtrack Beyond 1 or the Niner RLT 9 Steel?

Also, please don't suggest I look at the Trek Checkpoint. I'm too short, otherwise it'd be a consideration.