View Single Post
Old 01-20-22, 10:19 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by M.Lou.B
Yes, I absolutely see your point! Rekmeyata also pointed out that in a lot of cases it makes sense to just save up for a bike you really want instead of upgrading an inferior base.
Starting from the frame up, you have complete control in terms of what goes in. Someone here also mentioned that of course as a singular consumer you don't get the same discounts as a company buying in bulk, so as you say, you end up spending a little more, but you get exactly what you want.

I on one hand lack the experience and knowledge to build a bike from scratch.
On the other hand, I WAS looking for a frame and repurpose some old parts from my heavy city bike to build something that works until I saved up the money to buy a real fancy bike.
Then I stumbled across the TREK Multitrack series and simply fell in love with the frame geometry and hybrid character - it was exactly what I was looking for, the frames are really good quality and the older models were even manufactured in the US. Mine's not quite that old, but still good quality maybe except for some of the built-on parts.

The bike's nature is exactly what I was looking for, it suits my needs perfectly, it's just that technology has progressed over the past 20 years and I feel like some of the old, heavier built-on parts hold the bike back in way, if that makes sense. It has potential to go faster and be better than it is at its current state.
Can it compete with a 10kg all carbon frame gravel bike? No, and I don't need it to do that. I might end up putting more money into it than buying a ready-made bike (though Multitracks are no longer made, so I could get something similar but not this type of hybrid bike), but I will be learning a lot throughout the process about the individual components and how to fix and upgrade things by myself, knowledge that will be useful for the future, and I am also turning this bike into something I really want. Maybe not in a quite as elegant way as you, Veganbikes, and that's ok. I think what you do is awesome, I hope to get to your level eventually, and I'm just a beginner at this stage, but this route was well-selected even if it doesn't look like it from the outside.

Thank you for all your valuable feedback and for inspiring me reflect.
No worries. If you ever want help working out a bike build let me know I literally have probably 20-40 builds I have done on paper just for fun and sometimes for actual builds I have finished so I can track it and know what I need and how it will come together in the end.

If you are looking for a great frame at not a lot of cost New Albion Privateer is my go to. Mine is built up with parts from the bin so it is a 1x9 XT rear derailleur with an XTR shifter (lucky me) and some Deore V-Brakes and Surly Moloko Bars and it is just an absolute pleasure to ride. Nice comfortable steel frame and mine happens to have a carbon fork from Specialized and it fits decently wide tires and can fit racks on the back and three bottle cages and just is perfect for a parts build if you have a lot of older stuff. I bought a few new things for it as needed but a lot of stuff came from parts I had or people gave me over time.