Thread: Melting wax
View Single Post
Old 05-13-22, 02:05 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 757 Posts
Yup, mini-crock pot. I think I got it from (cringe..) Walmart. Takes about an hour set on hi to fully melt.
If you're going the wax route, it's important to strip ALL of the grease from the chain (new or used) before treating.
I make my own mix of about 75/25 paraffin/bees wax. I think the bees wax helps a bit with adherence.
I keep a bottle of the Silca 'wax' lube and put a bit of that on if the chain starts to get squeaky and I don't have the time to change/rewax the chain.
When I rewax, I give the chain a quick wipe down with denatured alcohol, let it dry a bit and in it goes. If I'm treating a new chain/s (usually I buy two at a time) I use fresh wax, otherwise I just change the wax in the crock-pot at in the spring. Rewax/swap for a clean waxed chain when I start to hear squeakiness, which can be anywhere from around a month to less than a week (if I end up in the rain). Key for me is to have several chains/master links on standby. Then wax 2 or 3 at once.
Likes For ehcoplex: