View Single Post
Old 06-29-20, 05:05 PM
rch427

Bikes: 1965 Hetchin's, 1977 Galmozzi, 1956 Rochet, 1947 Gnome et Rhone, 1972 De Rosa, 1948 Bates B-A-R, 1989 Trevor Jarvis (Baines) "Flying Gate", etc.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts
Compensating for too-small frame?

I have a dilemma. I've found one of my "holy grail" frames (please don't ask what). The price is more-or-less what I was expecting to have to pay, which is to say, expensive, but as it happens, I can come up with it right now. I have never seen an example of this maker's frame available for less than the price of this one, and I only see maybe 1 or 2 examples come up for sale in any given year. And in my lifetime I have only seen maybe 4 examples of this bike that were (1) original condition (NOT repainted), (2) in a color I like, and (3) possibly workable, size-wise. It's a desirable if obscure maker, so if I bought it and it didn't work out, I think I could probably re-sell it and not lose too much money.

Here's the real dilemma: the frame has a seat-tube that's 55cm high and the top-tube length is 55.5cm (both center-to-center). I'm 6'2" tall and my equivalent stand-over height is 36" (not my pants inseam, but the distance between the ground and my "taint".) I recognize that something around 60cm is what someone of my height *should* be riding. I wouldn't be riding it competitively or anything; just for fun. So how much might I be able to get away with, in terms of adjusting the seat tube and stem higher, etc., to try to help compensate for the difference between what would fit me best, and what I'd have to work with, with this frame? Would it be likely to be disastrous, or do-able?