Old 09-03-19, 07:47 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 115 Posts
Two weeks ago today my wife called me at work with some disturbing news: my mother-in-law had collided with a train. She was not wearing a seatbelt, was ejected from the vehicle, and died within minutes after the crash. My wife's father was following in the car behind and witnessed the entire thing.
https://dayton247now.com/news/local/...-in-miamisburg

I had a rather rushed ride home from work that day to meet my wife at home. We made a bunch of phone calls and arranged to leave town as soon as we could to drive to Dayton, OH. The family is in pretty rough shape, so my wife and I wound up putting in 14-16 hour days the entire time to arrange the funeral and try and get the family able to function without her mom. I returned yesterday and my wife opted to stay an extra week and fly home.

So, today was the first day back on the bike since August 20th. My body had shifted onto a different schedule the last couple weeks so it felt a bit rough when the alarm went off at 5:45. It was a humid morning. I went for a 3 mile walk and then came home and got on the bike. 15 mph head wind, but the temp was pretty nice. I stopped and took a picture, both for commemorative reasons and to put some distance between me and another guy who was riding like an idiot.

Shortly after I snapped the picture it started to rain. Luckily it wasn't heavy, just a light shower so I didn't get too wet by the time I arrived at work.