View Single Post
Old 02-19-21, 04:18 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 822 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by jpjuggler
Does anyone have any thoughts on waterproof Panniers vs. non-waterproof, aka Breathable? My initial thought is that non waterproof wouldn't actually be that breathable to make a difference. I would think cheaper maybe.More outside pockets which would be a plus..... regardless, I'm speculating as a novice that ortlieb is the gold standard so they are not just waterproof but high quality, very well constructed as well?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?fbclid...ature=youtu.be
My experience with waterproof and water repellent panniers has shown that there is not such thing as a breathable pannier. What gets damp in a water repellent pannier stays damp as long as it stays in the pannier. They also have a greater chance of getting water inside the bags. Most water repellent bags are coated with polyester urethane or a similar product. These coatings tend to lose their effectiveness during extended exposure to wet conditions. Sewn seams are also a weak point.

IMO Ortieb bags are the gold standard for bike bags, but there are other good waterproof bags made by other manufacturers. I've left my Ortlieb panniers sitting outside our tent on a picnic table in an all night rainstorm without any problems.

If I was on the fence about waterproof vs. water repellent touring panniers before watching the video, I would be more inclined to buy waterproof panniers after watching it. I know that was not his intention, but he actually made a good case for waterproof panniers.

I use his method to clean my full panniers on tour.

On one tour we experienced 35 days of rain. Some showers lasted an hour and other storms lasted for days. Sometime not riding was not a choice.

Like on this day.

Last edited by Doug64; 02-19-21 at 04:54 PM.
Likes For Doug64: