View Single Post
Old 03-24-21, 11:26 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
My own experience with department store bikes has indeed not been bad - the one I had in college in after, and the used one I picked up recently for a relative.

But I don't discount the reports of trouble from others, or that the components are often flimsy and non-standard. Stopped on a trail once to try to help someone put her front brake back together and was a bit frustrated how finicky and flexy the parts were.

And there is a general reality that coincident with the switch to importing just about everything, we've seen a switch from solid basics to silly features. I can remember in some other contexts as a teenager being frustrated that the "name brands" only offered extras I coveted in the mid to high tier models, while some of the lesser known imports that were coming on the market offered them by default in their magazine adds. It was only when I finally saw some of those products in person that it became clear how crummy they were in terms of their capability to fill the basic need. And I've seen that again and again - the established brand comes with 3 attachments 1 of which might actually be useful, the budget new arrival has 20 attachments all odd and all likely to break on the first or second attempt at use.
My experience mimics yours. I have owned a BSO Technically I still do a huffy single speed whatever cruiser. it works its fine.

and I agree with you the parts on most of them are bottom end, thats what comes on literally everything budget.

agree its a budget bike, its what you get when thats all you can afford. its more likely to be a poor clone than a quality original with usable ideas.

Heck like 5 seconds on walmart bike section shows a bunch of bikes that are literally what the OP describes, single speed, 1x7, rim brakes. the big problem is education and skill set. No bike can sell for under 300 and have a pro build included. there is just no room for that in the price. So if you cant built it or at least tune on it you have a pile of junk you cant ride.