View Single Post
Old 09-29-22, 09:33 AM
Gear_Admiral 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Theft is a function of bike value and ease of defeating the lock and also bikes nearby.

I spray painted mine to look loke crud. Black all over, then reddish brown near joints to look like rust. This keeps actual rust at bay and makes the bike look bad to most, despite having good or new parts at any given time. (Except I do not bother with the chain.)

I have decent locks and park next to bikes that are more expensive and/or more poorly locked if gone for a few hours. My bike is never the best looking or most easily stolen bike in that area.

It is like that joke about two people walking in the woods who encounter a bear. One puts on his sneakers. The other says, "Man cannot outrun a bear." The first one replies, "I don't need to outrun the bear; I just need to outrun you."

No locking system can prevent thieves with tools and time from dismantking every pedal and crankshaft. But, you can make it so that your bike is the last to be targeted and that can buy you 6 hours perhaps in even a high-crime area.
Likes For Gear_Admiral: