View Single Post
Old 03-11-21, 09:34 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by Deepcherry
I have different wheels for different uses, that way my favourite Kona CC gets to do touring and some trails.
The track going downhill from my house negates any possibility of putting slicks on my bikes. Some of these old lightweight and strong steel frames make excellent touring bikes too, they feel so much more alive than alum frames.
Gotta disagree on the touring bike thing. By 1993, the geometry of the mountain bike has changed significantly from 10 years earlier. The rear wheel had moved forward, shortening the chainstays, and the front end had steepened significantly. The changes were made for a more aggressive (and less stable) ride needed for off-road riding.

Touring bikes make excellent touring bikes (even aluminum ones). Mountain bikes make excellent mountain bikes. Trying to use one for the other’s purpose seldom results in desirable results.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!