aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by ILikeParmesan
Hey Carleton + others,

Noob here and looking to start track racing and crit racing for the first time this year. I wish I could do track year round but it is only open for 4 months so I'm planning on doing crits too.

Anyways, is if lifting heavy weights twice a week enough volume to produce noticeable strength gains? Or should I add in a third day? I'm doing lifting 2x a week and riding my bike 3x a week.
So, the answer is always "it depends." There are a ton of variables. However, yes, lifting twice a week instead of three times a week will probably produce strength gains (if you do it right). The other answer, though, is that if you're a noob starting out on track and crits, you might not need to set aside 2 days/week for lifting. You'll probably make better gains on the bike - technique, coordination, and aerobically. When you're starting out, more bike time is better; save the weights for when you have identified your limiters and strength gains are a way to overcome them. (unless you just love lifting and want to incorporate it to your general physical activity)