Old 11-23-21, 11:00 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
Yes, it definitely depends on your voice and volume you can get out. As well as the ambient sound levels. There is a part of the MUP that parallels a very busy 4 lane HWY and sounds reflecting off the bare embankments on either side where even conversation while walking or riding side by side is a problem.

As for volume, some have it some don't. I'm always surprised that no matter how long I've ridden and tired I may be that I can bellow out with the loudest. I too have learned to make it sound a little friendlier and try to say something nice or courteous as I get next to the persons I'm passing.

On the other hand, I've had cyclist pass me and they can barely gasp out much more than a whisper. All I can say for them is they need to work on that. Maybe read some Army pamphlet on giving marching drill commands or read up on using lungs properly for singing out like an opera singer.

Bells? The ones that sound like the little brass bicycle bell and make a tl'ing tl'ing sound are readily recognizable to me. However some cyclist have had electronic devices that make a odd sound like a horn or other type bell and they are hard for me to recognize that they are behind me or even on the road with me. I'm looking elsewhere for their origin.

Still for all those pedestrians that get confused and move where you don't want them to move or jump out of their skin, they almost always are new to the MUP. If this isn't their one time per year on the trail they usually figure it out after another time or two.

Last edited by Iride01; 11-23-21 at 11:05 AM.
Likes For Iride01: