View Single Post
Old 11-24-21, 09:37 PM
Kat12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 279 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
I ride mostly on deserted rural roads and the startle factor is hard to overcome. There's plenty of room to pass another rider, but you want to announce your presence because you'll really startle them if you don't. But a voice from behind startles as well. Unless you do it from so far back that you have to yell to be heard. Which ends up feeling rather silly.
I've had it come out too harsh when I'm trying to be loud enough to be heard-- in biking/running situations and others-- and then I feel bad. Not long ago I was at a coffee shop waiting for my order, and it was kind of busy. Server calls out what I think is my drink, but pronounces my name incorrectly (he mis-read it on the receipt) and as what he says is also a different name, I wanted to be sure I wasn't about to take someone else's drink. "{other name}!" he calls out. "{my name}?" I clarify, loudly enough to be heard. At which point he apologizes profusely, because the way it ended up coming out, it sounded I was mad rather than just trying to make sure it was in fact my order. Oops. At a loud enough volume, I have a hard time keeping a "strident" tone out of my voice even if it's not intended. I need to figure out techniques that sound more "friendly," I guess, but all I can think of is adding a kind of "up-speak"-- "on your left?" and... no.

Originally Posted by StarBiker
I yell NAKED MAN BEHIND YOU! Works every time.....
Or I could just try this one, too. No, I don't think I'll change it to "naked woman"-- much more interesting the other way.

Really, though, I could pick anything that sounds somewhat interesting enough to make people look. "Zombies!", for example, could work. ("Free beer coming!" could backfire, though.)