View Single Post
Old 01-12-22, 02:12 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4365 Post(s)
Liked 3,000 Times in 1,853 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
On a road ride with temps in the low 20°sF I flatted. I had all the necessary equipment to repair the flat. But, I discovered that it really couldn’t be down with my thick gloves on. And then, when I took the gloves off, my hands and fingers got so cold very quickly that I couldn’t manipulate everything to do the change. So…I went to the cell phone to call my wife for a pickup. BUT…I then discovered that I was in a rural cellular dead zone. I had to walk (in cycling shoes) about a mile before I could get a cell signal. Dressed for a cold winter ride…I was fine as long as I was peddling. But stopped (an a bit sweaty), the cold really became concerning. There wasn’t even a house nearby that I could go up to and ask to use their phone, and for shelter until my pick-up arrived.
Moral of the story: Stay in somewhat populated areas during very cold rides.

Dan
Yeah, that's the thing that troubles me. Particularly riding thick-walled winter tires that get really hard to mount in the cold, I just don't think I could get my hands to work well enough to change a flat in the deep cold. And I ride at temperatures 30 degrees lower than the low 20s. Generally, though, I don't ride alone when it's that cold.