Old 02-19-22, 07:08 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,968 Times in 1,917 Posts
building to have a mix use area that puts residential & commercial within a walking distance may work if it's done where the homes are not built on top of each other like how Detroit did it. I don't need or want a million acres to plot my house on, but I also don't want a .25 ac parcel. Having a commercial or industrial business on top of one another wouldn't be an issue, but for residential that doesn't work well when you want your home to be your sanctuary. If Detroit built single family homes on lots that were 3x larger, the city might be different in a positive way today.
Also, having the industrial zoning more distant while keeping the commercial & residential zoning within reach of each other might encourage less use of local motorized transportation. SE Michigan is a nightmare since it has pretty much everything randomly laid out in each city/township. Want McD's? make a right, want to go to the shopping center that has a bunch of quick dollar grabbing convenience stores? Go up a block from McD's & hang a left, you're there. Want to go to the Ford/GM/Chrysler production facility? Sure, stay on that same road for 500' & turn right. Then, when it's time to go home after all that galavanting, stay on that very same road, make a Michigan U-Turn, merge across 3 lanes without a turn signal & make a right into your subdivision.
Plazas, malls, & those massive hyperstores could be better placed elsewhere. Consumerism has many consumed into their wants rather than needs. I don't have to go far for a smart device, fast food item, or jeggings. Dare I need a decent sump pump, garage door spring, or food to do some healthy eating... gotta travel out for that, & it better be during the week during bankers hours.