Old 06-16-22, 06:39 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 171 Posts
I tend to agree with statements made on Colorado passes and would not put it as a strong consideration if it were my choice. I have cycled both Hoosier and Cameron Passes.

I'll also suggest that some of the grades and descriptions quoted also seem like slight overstatements. First -

"It takes 125 miles to climb to the top of Hoosier Pass from Pueblo which is about 10,000 ft of climbing." Pueblo is elevation 4,692 and Hoosier Pass is 11,541. Google Maps would tell you 9000ft climb and 2000ft descent over those 126 miles or 71ft per mile or less than 1.5% on average. It will also tell you most of this is fairly evenly spread out - and CDOT will tell you there are a few switchbacks listed at 8% near the summit - https://www.codot.gov/travel/maximum...in-passes.html

In general following the Arkansas River up from Pueblo is a pretty mile rise. You can tell vs. going the other direction though at times a headwind could have a larger effect than the climb. For example, I'd rather climb this with a touring bike than go against the wind in a place like the Columbia River Gorge...

"Cameron is mostly 4-5% until the top where there is a short section around 8-10%". Fort Collins is 5003ft and Cameron Pass is 10276ft. Google Maps bicycle directions somehow decided to tell me "mostly flat" rather than an elevation gain - but again not much downhill on a pretty gradual climb over 68 miles. Lets say 6000ft over 88 miles and we're talking just over 1.5%. CDOT doesn't tell us the maximum grade westbound but Wikipedia says maximum grade is 3.1% - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...es_in_Colorado. So rather than "mostly 4-5%" this is a pass whose maximum grade is 3.1% coming from Fort Collins. When I've cycled the long approach canyon I put it in a slightly lower gear and have found winds sometimes as obnoxious as any climbing.

In general where I am in agreement with both posters is
- If your motivation is to bypass climbing, there isn't much different between the routes.
- Passes in Colorado will have long gentle approaches over many miles. There can be a shorter few miles near the summit that are slightly steeper - however typically have found these grades much less than shorter but steep climbs in other places. I find those shorter steep grades more difficult than a gradual climb over many miles.

Last edited by mev; 06-16-22 at 06:47 AM.