cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
Yes it does, or at least, it does in my experience. Gearing bottom-out puts a lower bound on the amount of force you need to pedal at in order to keep going; lower gears decrease this bound. Plenty of the hills around me force me to go at least somewhat hard if I'm on a bike with typical road gearing, but if I'm on my gravel bike (which has a 19" bottom gear), I have the option to take it easy if I want to.

You only go slower if you use the lower gears to go easier. For the most part, in my experience, gearing bottom-out is bad for power: the lower your cadence has been kicked, the more dramatic this is. Although it's sometimes easier to produce more pedaling force at lower cadences, there are harsh limits to this. If I'm fighting to keep the pedals turning over at 50rpm, changing to a higher gear that sends me down to 40rpm is unlikely to facilitate the corresponding 5/4ths increase in pedaling force that would allow me to maintain the same power.
My '83 Miyata has a 42-28 low gear, while my Emonda has a 34-28. On moderate climbs, the Emonda has a speed advantage of a couple percent, which is in agreement with basic kinematic differences between the bikes (i.e. the Emonda's 5-pound weight advantage). But on climbs where I start feeling bottomed out even on the Emonda, its advantage over the Miyata can quickly rise to over 10%.
I'm not sure how you could even start comparing between the 2 bikes... 42/28 + 5lbs vs 34/28 ?
Ok, 5-6% grade isn't much, but I was trying to put into a frame work which I see a lot of riders struggling. But let's make it 'real' 8-9%+ and, for whatever reason, you're barely turning 55/60, on a current bike with 34/28, 25mm rubber - you're goin about 9 kph (6ish mph) - you drop into a 30 or 32 - I would put big money that, after about a 20 yd surge, you will again be doing 8 kph.... and happy that you haven't put a foot down. WHy do I say that?
Well, if you're at 65-70 rpm, you're getting into a new, lower effort comfort zone. If you're at 55 rpm, you're already DONE/cooked and 30/32/34 isn;t going to save you - you'd need 40/42/48 to find relief... Reality is a *****.

Ride On
Yuri