cherokeeronin

Bikes: SGM Charles Jerry 26er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cherokeeronin
Hi everyone!

I'd like to hear your opinion with a dilemma I am having. I'm currently running a 1x9 Drivetrain with MicroNew Shifters paired with an Ltwoo A5 Elite RD.

My problems with this current drivetrain is that even though the spring tension of the Ltwoo A5 Elite RD is superb, shifting can get quite finicky and flimsy as compared when using its Shimano counterparts. The only advantage for me there is the max capacity of 50T if need be, and having no cable adjuster in the RD itself, since my experience with bumps, tunes out the Rear Derailleur especially if it has a cable adjuster with it. The cable adjuster I have is on the shifter.

My option 1 is I plan on changing my drivetrain to a 1x10 Drivetrain, this is composed of Shimano 105 ST-5600 Shifters, and an Alivio M3100 SGS RD. (For everyone's knowledge, the ST 5600 shifters have the old school pull ratio of 2:1 making it compatible with 9 speed and below MTN/Road Rear Derailleurs). I'm thinking of running an 11-46T Cassette, adding a Goatlink to the Alivio RD since I think its maximum capacity is only 45T. The con I see here is that I'm not used to operating the shifting of a Shimano Road Shifter, plus I'm not sure how the longevity of the 105 st-5600 Shifters will be like down the road. Another 2 cons is that, the rubber hood replacements might get phased out down the line, which is what I'm worried about, as supply gets lower demand gets higher therefore pricing for it would increase. Same with the Headbadge/Nameplate Cover, I am unable to see listings in Amazon/Ebay for replacements. There is one on ebay but it's a 3d printed version. It would cost me around 45usd in total shipping includede to have it delivered to my country. Lastly, I will be attaching pictures of the shifters, and I'm not sure if the scratches can be repolished, and If I ever do plan on repainting them, I'm not so sure it would stick in the long run, I'm worried about it not staying there since I am in contact with the shifters.

My 2nd option, is to go for Sensah's 1x11 SRX Pro drivetrain. With this, I no longer have to think about compatibility issues but only quality control. I love that this is internal cabling, maximum capacity of 50T as well, I only have to think about the 11 speed chain and cassette. I also like that the rubber hood replacement can be easily found in the market here in the Philippines. The shifting with the one big lever is I think forgiving for my fingers since I don't have to press which lever but only worry about how far should I swing the lever.

I have the option of going with the all Shimano parts since I believe that Shimano is better than what MicroNew, Sensah or even Ltwoo would bring out. Their quality control is already proven, old school parts are going to work. I'm just worried that, is it worth it to cleanup the shifters and all? Or is it better to just go ahead, going for a different direction to choose Sensah 1x11 SRX Pro instead?

I'd love to hear your thoughts guys. Those who have experience using Shimano 105 st-5600, let me know how it went for you guys, as well as users of Sensah 1x11 SRX Pro. What's better? What is more worth it in the long run?

Best regards,

Guan

Pictures of the Shimano 105 ST -5600