View Single Post
Old 05-02-23, 04:10 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 203 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
When I was just starting out trying to become an endurance rider, I happened upon the Hammer website and read all the info on it. I put their ideas into practice and whaddya know, it worked. I don't use any of their products except Endurolytes, but their recommendations work, remembering that they have products to sell and they definitely oversell them.
https://hammernutrition.com/blogs/getting-started
Thanks for the lead on Hammer products and their website. I've started looking at the Hammer website, based on your suggestion. They express some clear, and very strong positions on things. And as you said, a healthy dose of marketing. But, that's fine, you have to promote it if you want to sell it.

I already found some things that are quite interesting. The main two are eating a meal no sooner than 3 hours before a ride (so it completely digests) and only eating 120-180 cal per hour. The 3-hour rule is interesting because that was just about what happened with me last week, eating lunch and then riding 3 hours later and feeling pretty darn good. In contrast, I did a long ride two days ago, and ate about a hour before. I can't say it made me feel bad, but it does sort of seem like your asking your body to do two things at once, exercise hard and digest a meal.

The 120-180 cal per hour, does sound pretty low to me, I'll need to see what else they have to say and track down references to justify that. But on its surface, for a business selling food products for athletes, it's hard to see the motivation for talking you into eating less rather than more. So, it gives them some credibility.