View Single Post
Old 02-12-20, 06:07 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
1977 Nishiki ONP - Build Project

This 1977 Nishiki ONP frame was purchased new by my father. When he passed in '94, it became part of my stable. It got some use as a single-speed training bike for a short time in the early '00s, but has mostly sat collecting dust, and was moved from house to house. After taking a break from cycling for 15 years, I have returned with a new passion for riding, and a renewed enjoyment of wrenching on bikes. Diving into the BF community, the C&V thing caught my attention, and inspired me to find out more my dad's old frame. I have been surprised and excited to find out that this was truly a top-level frame in its day, and is very worthy of a rehab project. The amount of Nishiki info on this site is wonderful.

Unfortunately, an incident with a car in '80, the subsequent repair and black powdercoat, and a almost 30 years of knocking around, has left it with a less than glorious appearance. I don't intend to do an exact vintage-year correct build, but want to keep it pretty true to the era. Eventually, it will get a new paint job.

Build specs (updated 5/19/20)...
Crankset: SunTour Superbe w/ 52/42 Sugino drillium rings
Bottom Bracket: Campagnolo Nuovo Record
F/R Derailleur: SunTour Superbe
Shifters: SunTour Superbe
Brakes: SunTour Superbe
Brake Levers: SunTour Superbe
Wheels: SunTour Superbe/Araya, 36H
Freewheel: Suntour Winner Pro 6-speed, 13-21
Stem: ITM 120mm
Handlebars: Nitto Mod176 44cm
Bar Tape: Benotto
Headset: Specialized
Tires: Veloflex Master 23
Pedals: SunTour Superbe w/ MKS clips & straps
Seatpost: Sakae 27.0
Seat: Selle Italia Turbo

Here's the starting point...

Last edited by Eric F; 05-19-20 at 03:38 PM.