View Single Post
Old 05-03-21, 05:34 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
@Dannyboy21 - My Pinarello Montello came with 8V DA all around except the HS. It was a crisp DT index that was a joy to ride and shift

One day I was climbing a hill and the FD shifted to the big ring. I made it to the top and stopped to inspect. There is a plastic piece on the FD that keeps the adjustment screws from rotating. It broke. At home I used Loctite to lock it in place Other than that it worked flawlessly until I replaced all the components with mostly Chorus bits including Ergos. I like it much better for the ease of shifting from the brake levers. Not looking back.

My point is that there probably isn't very much difference between systems. I have Superbe Pro, indexed, going on the Trek 760. It too shifts equally well as the DA.

My preference is Campagnolo because of my admiration for the best back in the 1960s. The Superbe Pro in the 80s was a knock-off with many of the parts interchangeable on the brake calipers. That is the other preference.

I am sure Shimano makes a great product but for some reason, it does not appeal to me, with very few exceptions. I have learned to accept my preferences as being mine and recognize others have theirs and that is OK. The Pinarello was converted because the frame is Italian and the rest isn't. It just didn't seam right with the DA. The only DA parts left are the hubs and rear sprockets, only because I am building wheels with Chorus front and Record rear and tubular rims. In the process of going back to the tubulars.

BTW: I don't care for the aesthetics of that Chorus crank. The next gen is a hand down of the Record which I prefer.