TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Race weight - yes and I do well powering though rough road when the ahem 135 -150 guys are bouncing all over the place..
Hey!

I resembled that remark when I did BWR pre-pandemic (still do). I thought I'd be fine since I ride MTB and know the trails around hodges, but boy, was I wrong. I felt like a popcorn kernal out there and was totally uncomfortable out there on my Giant TCR with 25's.

If I was to do it again - I'd want to get a bike with clearance for bigger tires. Like 30's maybe. With 100 miles of road I felt fine for most of it, and excelled in the final stretches, but Hodges and black canyon were just no fun and I lost tons of time there. Not to mention two consecutive flats in Hodges on the return leg within 15 min...

Epic event, I do look back on it fondly, but not my cup of tea given my equipment limitations. I seem to have convinced my wife to let me buy a new MTB, which is a priority for me in comparison with these "gravel" bikes, or whatever you hipster young kids are riding these days.
Likes For TMonk: