View Single Post
Old 06-18-22, 06:27 AM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearhawker
Can you adjust the angle the radar unit sits at so that it doesn't "see" so far to the left?

Or some sort of "blinder"? That way the light would still be straight back for max effect but the unit could be limited in what it reacts to. Could be a neat 3d printing project for someone...
I can imagine there is a way to modify the aperture of the RADAR but I think you run the risk of blocking real threats that are closer. Maybe miss a threat from a car that turns on to the road just after you pass. I'm pretty sure the unit doesn't have the ability to detect angle, just distance. If it did, they could have a more sophisticated approach and be able to detect the side-to-side position of the threat. But i think the units are fundamentally limited to range and speed.

But really, this is a user interface software issue and I think it's one of the frustrating things that Garmin has decided to not allow the user to control. Likely they see it as a liability issue or perhaps like many features, they are just super slow to respond to user requests. Looking on the web, I'm certainly not the first person to want to do this.

As far as those suggesting to just change the sensor setting, while riding. It takes 12+ button presses to get to the setting and several more to back out of it. It's simply not practical to do that. Sure I might stop and change the setting if I were going to have it off for an extended period, but I'm looking at something measured in a few minutes at a stretch. It's not the end of the world that I'll probably just have to put up with this, but it would be nice to just be able to quiet the unit down when I want.
Likes For Mtracer: