View Single Post
Old 09-02-19, 11:51 AM
vanwormer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dagray
So the other day I took my mountain bike out for a seven mile ride and encountered a couple dogs that came out to "greet" me. I noticed that the dogs tail was up and wagging (good for me), dog was smiling (good for me), and the dogs bark was more of a "come play with me" bark instead of an "I'm going to eat you" bark.

These are farm dogs and used to staying out of the way of pickups so I wasn't worried about running over them, but the bigger of the two dogs got close enough to give my lower leg a few licks (no I don't think he was tasting me to find out if I would be good eating).

Had the tails been down or tucked, and had the bark sounded different and the facial expression been different on the dogs I may have been in trouble or in pain from a bite.

Try to learn to read dog behavior so that you don't get bit especially if you are riding rural roads.
Outsprint it if you can; pepper spray if you can't. A squirt from a water bottle will slow a dog down - but the next time, he'll remember that it was merely an inconvenience. Pepper spray is a whole 'nother story - the dog will also remember it, and want nothing to do with another exposure.
Likes For vanwormer: