Old 05-12-20, 07:27 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Start eating 2 apples/day, one mid-morning, the other mid-afternoon. This is very simple and requires no thought or other alterations.

As far as electrolytes and sweating: I eat a low salt diet. I strain a bit to get a total of 3/4 t. of salt/day and never salt my food except for eggs. In hot weather, I take 1 Endurolyte/hour. I never have salt stains and do fine on pass climbs in 100°+ heat as long as I have enough water. Medically, I don't need a low salt diet - my BP is usually 115/70 or thereabouts. I eat low salt because it's healthier and I do better in the heat with it.

It's easy to tell if you're drinking enough water: you pee every 3 hours or less. If you're not peeing, you need to drink water until you do.

There certainly are bike-related digestion issues for long distance riders. Sounds like the OP has just become one. Welcome! The problem is eating during the ride, which one has to do, something on the order of 125-300 calories/hour, steady. When going hard for long distances, the stomach doesn't get the blood flow it usually does, plus too much food combined with not enough water in the stomach with the food will cause the food to just sit there and then you feel like barfing and pretty soon you aren't going anywhere. So eat, and drink plenty of water with the food. Gels and shot bloks are particular offenders. Usually takes 6 swallows of water per gel. Too much food and too little water raises the stomach's osmolality. Worth a google, that word.

Doctor Butler's is good medication while you're suffering.