View Single Post
Old 03-11-21, 08:27 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
32 Years Car-Free Finally Ended Today

Yes, it's true. Parked my previous car for the last time on April 12, 1989 to take a long bike tour around the USofA. 5 months later I returned home and decided to leave the car (van) parked until I pumped up my bank account a bit. Moved one block from a huge mall with a grocery, movie theater, and everything I could ever need. Needless to say, I never went back to the van - gave it to my little brother.

Some here will argue the semantics of my "car-free" status. I often rented cars. Took a few taxis. Mostly used my bikes. Almost never public transport. My wife owns a car. If you see me driving it, I am likely running errands for her. But as far as having a car 100% at my disposal any time I need one, 1989 was the last time I had that. Until today.

My wife's 2003 Camry was showing it's age and becoming less than trustworthy for long trips or hurricane evacuations. So she has been kinda looking for a newer one. Just spent abut $3,000 dollars beating the old car up mechanically, then two weeks later the oil light came on. Towed it to the shop. While at the shop (Toyota Dealer Service) we looked at used cars. Like a miracle a perfect 2016 was on the lot, low miles. She bought it on the spot. So I offered to buy the old car assuming it wasn't ruined.

Before I could drive my "new" car even one mile it cost me $750 in repairs. Just picked it up today. Runs fantastic. Somehow the screen in the oil filter got clogged up with gunk. They cleaned the whole engine oil system top to bottom. Yeah....car ownership. I remember this ****. So this repair plus the $3K for the last repairs is what the car is costing me. 123,000 miles. No wrecks.

So why did I finally break down?

My new job (2 years now) is M-F most of the year and I get off at 3:30 PM. Plenty of time to hit some nice Rial-Trails 30-60 minutes away drive time. My commute these days is only 1.5 miles each way and I have pretty much given up road riding in traffic past few years (since smart phones and TVs in cars became a thing). So I will jump into my armored and air-bagged cage and venture out for some relaxing rides in the country and at the beach. And I guess having a second car available for when hers is in for service will be convenient.

Well, that's it. No longer in your ranks here. For now. We'll see how it goes. My spirit will still be in Car-Free as I will certainly lurk here now and again.

Cheers All!
Likes For JoeyBike: