View Single Post
Old 06-30-21, 08:14 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,053 Times in 1,074 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
yeah I read the wikipedia article as well. so in the past 30 some times the race was conducted this is the second time the winner didn't finish in the 9 day or less range.
You said this
"why this is the first year since the race started that the winner wasn't in the 7-9 day range."

Which seemed wrong to me since I've followed this race since it's inception, and have friends who have completed. So i checked, and your quote is indeed factually incorrect, and I think misleading. So i put the facts in the thread to counter a misrepresentation of past results.

Year over year comparisons are of limited value, due to the many variables. That's understood by everyone involved in the event. Competitors hoping to have a record average speed or record finish time hope for favorable weather, because weather will determine if they have any chance of success.

Why was the average speed of RAAM 2021 the lowest in the history of the event? We don't know. People will fill in that blank with whatever they carry in their minds. But it doesn't matter. The competitors raced, the winner won, and everyone else talks.