Old 07-30-21, 05:57 PM
Chistophe516

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
I don’t spend much time in A&S so this has probably been discussed ad nauseum…….I didn’t do a search but didn’t spot any recent posts.

For those whom live in States with Hands Free regulations, how effective do you think they are? I’m in NC and wish we’d adopt them. I see people driving and weaving everywhere, especially on Interstates where drivers are already greatly exceeding speed limits. It’s very conspicuous while driving when it’s dark enough to see the phones held by drivers lit up and held in front of their faces. It seems tractor trailer drivers are even weaving more these days…..or maybe there’s just more big rigs on the roads and it’s the law of percentages?

Knowing the independent thinking in SC I’d be shocked if they ever adopted them. “You can’t tell me I have to wear a motorcycle helmet to ride my motorcycle”……..

I see some drivers texting while out riding but I notice it more occasionally versus regularly. But fortunately I’m normally out riding on less traveled two lane roads.

Before I retired my employer went even further. They required you to be stopped in your vehicle when using a mobile device for talking, texting, emails etc.. However it could be used as a GPS device for navigation but it had to be hands free. My employer put a huge emphasis on safety.

I’m disappointed NC hasn’t taken that step to limit its use but there are a lot of items that need addressing.
I moved here(NC) from MD in November of 2019. While I live in an area that seems more rural, than suburbia. Before I moved, they(MD) were really resistant up there. Laws were eventually passed in DC, MD, and VA. The problem with the original law in MD. Was that it didn't make it illegal to talk on the phone if a driver used a 'hands free' device while driving. Then they(MD) changed it to no talking at all. After accidents were still happening. I really got on my elderly parents' for this very problem. They didn't take me seriously at first. Now they don't talk on the phone while driving.

But here in NC. I have noticed a resistance to giving up the phone while driving.