View Single Post
Old 03-03-21, 06:17 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,003 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by zen_
That's a really sharp looking bike. How well do the mini v-brakes work with STI levers?
So, Sora R3000 levers with TRP 8.4 mini V's. I was expecting a lot more bite to be honest after hearing all the "on/off" stories. I don't feel that to be the case at all; these don't have the same bite as proper long Vs, the pad to rim distance is very tight, and the fender clearance on the 38s is a bit tight - all well documented. Braking is much better than with calipers on the hoods but not what I was expecting. Overall, they're adequate if the drawbacks are tolerable. Quality control was a bit lacking as one pad holder's allen head was not broached properly. I also think they are overpriced for what they are but oh well. My background is with MTBs so have been on cantis in the 90s, switched to V's in 95 and then discs in 99. I haven't taken this thing off road yet