View Single Post
Old 02-20-22, 06:29 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
ugh. that hurts just looking at it. I actually went down on my ride the other day- a little detour on a very icy patch of trail through a park was a mistake. Was going very slow and took the fall on my hip. I don't think I'll pay any real penalty, though in the past, trochanteric bursitis has shown up much later.
yeah, if you've been there & done that, pics like that hurt to look at, for sure. a cpl years ago I had a good fall. went down hanging onto the bars & force was distributed over my whole right side, but the hip was sore. I guess they make those padded cycling shorts for good reason, eh? I might start investing in MTB specific shoulder pads myself. or at least a shoulder brace like this

or like this one

but any neoprene brace I've ever tried for knees or ankles were too tight. never did find MTB knee pads that felt comfortable either.

I was reading that, like you wrote, injuries can lead to arthritis post-traumatic osteoarthritis

on my recent fall I also took a hard shot to my left knee, squarely on my kneecap. since then, I've noticed some minor
symptoms. but I previously had some minor symptoms. the fall certainly didn't help. I forget which knee I had minor surgery on, back in 1997. I suppose at 62, soon to be 63, I shouldn't be riding raised boardwalks either. less so when they are snow covered. can't imagine adding altitude would be advantageous in a fall
Likes For rumrunn6: