roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
Until bikeforums I never heard of applying glue to the tire. I mount the tire, inflate a little. Push the tire off the rim exposing 10" or so of rim. Run my glue very sparingly down the center and put the tire back on. Work my way around the wheel and inflate. Spin the wheel and adjust as necessary.

I've used 3M Fastak adhesive forever but its not the same as back in the day. Now I use Gorilla Glue construction adhesive. Seems to work just fine. A little slower drying than Fastak. Overnight drying is probably best though I have ridden after just an hour of dry time.
I handle mine similar to you, although my method involves applying glue to about halfway down the rim, equidistant on each side from the valve hole. No glue next to the valve! Vittoria Mastik works fine for me. Putting on wet enables me to inflate to 60psi and shift the tire around to get it properly centered. Dry/cure overnight. The tires stay on without any issues. I cannot imagine using the "contact cement" method. Does not seem feasible for centering the tire. My tires remain firmly affixed to the point that I carry a couple plastic levers with me to change tires.
Likes For roadcrankr: