View Single Post
Old 03-18-21, 07:40 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Typically, indoor power numbers are 10-15% lower than outdoor numbers.
I see this all the time but I can't hold power outside like I can inside unless it's cool outside, like in the 50s. As long as I have a fan I'm almost always better inside than outside.

As to the initial question - I looked up my best power numbers on Strava and got this:
20 min-304 Watts
30 min-289 Watts
45 min-275 Watts
60 min-269 Watts
90 min-238 Watts

None of the efforts past 20 minutes were the hardest I could go for that exact time nor were they all done when my FTP was actually at its max, which would be 289. That 90 minute effort, for example, was day two of the Haute Route on Zwift after a really hard day one. The ride was 1:53 there was only a 6 Watt drop off in average power from the 45 minute average (244) to the cumulative average (238) and that ride was done at an FTP of 274 (tested only a week or two prior).

My max FTP of 289 was done when I was 195 lbs or so (88.6kg). I'm less than that now but I'm sure after a bit more work to get my FTP up I can get back to 289 and at my current weight 175. The 20 pounds difference is just fat, anyway.

I think many people are correct that if you're only kinda trained that there would be a huge drop in power for most people past 30 minutes or so. Putting out power, recovering at speed, and then putting out power again is REALLY HARD. I'm not a racer and just a mid-level Cat B on Zwift but that's certainly the most enjoyable part of the few races I do. How long can I hold on until I crack and what will my sprint look like at the end (sprint is always bad)?

I'm a 47-year old nobody and on Zwift I regularly get easily beaten by people in their 40s and 50s. I'm also in the Navy and we can ride an exercise bike (12-minute test) for the aerobic portion of the fitness test. The test is entirely a power/weight test and last time I took it, pre-COVID, I was the best out of the 700 or so Sailors that tested. It wasn't even a close contest. I crushed Sailors half my age.

So I guess it depends on your comparison. Hardcore cyclists on Zwift? Yeah, 300W is easy to find. Your local Navy base or cycling club of enthusiasts? Probably not. There are only two people in my local bike store Strava club out of about 150 who a) have power meter on their bike or trainer and b) have an FTP over 300.

Last edited by guachi; 03-18-21 at 08:47 PM.
Likes For guachi: