View Single Post
Old 06-06-22, 11:09 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,996 Times in 4,455 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Back in Spring of 2021, I started buying C&V bikes. My first purchase was a 1989 Schwinn Circuit, with its Columbus tubing, chrome fork and chain and seat stays, and Sante groupset. I thought at the time I overpayed a bit, $450, but it turned out that the bike had ALL the original bits in good condition, including the barely-used original Rolls saddle - and they go for $70 and up in Ebay! So, in the end, I didn't mind over paying just a little, even if the frame is kinda small and required a new seatpost and 130mm stem to fit me.

Maybe 6 months later, another 1989 Circuit pops up on Ebay, this time in my size. But they want $800, and $200 for shipping. And that bike has been languishing there for close to a year now. They have the option of making an offer, but I doubt they'd take what I'd offer.

Last week, someone listed ANOTHER Circuit on Ebay, also my size. This one's listed for $1200.

This morning, someone else listed YET ANOTHER Circuit, again in 23". This one's listed for $1800!

In watch collecting, we used to see this sometimes. You won't see any listings of a particular watch for years, and then one gets listed and suddenly there's a bunch of them listed. We call it "Monkey See, Monkey Do".
Put yours up for $2000, obviously.