Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Mrs. GeneJockey is no longer fixated on Poughkeepsie. She talked again with the friend whose daughter went to Vassar, who said it was an okay place to got to college, but wasn't so enamored of it as a place to live. So now she's fixating on Buffalo. That's right - Buffalo. When I point out to her that the average winter snowfall in Buffalo is SEVEN FEET, she just waves it off. When I point out that it's probably a bad place for someone whose Mother suffered from Seasonal Affective Disorder, she says she got a full-spectrum light to take care of that. She was telling one of The Boys that her best friend from High School lives there, he asked, "Are you still in touch with her?"

"Well, not so much recently," she replied.

I think I need to let this burn out without too much opposition. I personally am feeling more comfortable with the idea of Pittsburgh. It does seem to be doing a lot better than a lot of Rust Belt cities, probably because it took the hit earlier, like in the 1980s, and has bounced back. The population dropped from 1970 to 1990, but has been largely stable with a very small decline since. Buffalo has been on a much steeper decline and it's not done yet.
Yeah I wouldn't waste energy nixing places that she'll likely move on from in time anyway.

And you're correct on Pittsburgh - it's doing much better than most of the region, driven in part by UPMC and CM. I'm a strong believer that schools drive relevance in the modern economy.

I mean, I wouldn't want to move there, especially to retire, but it sounds like the climate isn't an issue for you two.