MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Went to the doctor today for a quick blood pressure check. Blood pressure is fine, faa requires it. Anyways, while I was there I mentioned my hand (it has gotten better), and he was shocked that I was on the bike for four hours. He actually showed concern, and said the max cardio activity I should be doing is 60 mins max three times a week. He said that hours of cardio has been proven to cause heart problems in Endurance athletes. I don’t plan on stopping what I am doing anytime soon, Thoughts anyone?
He’s right about the risk of cardiac problems in elderly athletes with lifetime involvement in endurance sports, but he or someone else pulled those weekly numbers out of their ass. You hear a lot about cardiac arrhythmias from the old farts here, but they are common in sedentary old people too.

As a 64 year-old physician who fits the profile, I worry a hell of a lot more about being mooshed by a negligent driver.

BTW, you will need to protect that ulnar nerve or find a position on the bike which doesn’t traumatize it. You are likely hitting it on the pinky side of the base of your palm. Nerves recover, but don’t like repeated damage.