View Single Post
Old 11-06-22, 06:02 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18450 Post(s)
Liked 15,686 Times in 7,373 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine
I saw a Blue Heron up close yesterday, maybe 5 feet away. 😁 Down here in Fairfield, they have some bike paths, and one in particular (Route 40?), has some fancy cement benches, with columns and a sunblock. I was slowing down by one, for a break, and saw this Blue Heron, just standing by the bench. He never really freaked out, just looked at me pretty funny. 😁 I thought his beak was a really bright orange, up close, otherwise, pretty much what you'd think. 😉
Yes. The beaks are orange. We have them here in Philly and the surrounding suburbs during the summer. Some have become accustomed to human presence. Saw a young one this spring while riding along an old canal path.

Not my photo:

Probably my favorite bird sighting was in 2016 in Montana. American White Pelican. Saw 3 flying overhead in Twin Bridges. Saw a few more flying overhead two days later. I had no idea what they were until I got home and did a search. I only knew that they were shaped sort of like pelicans you see in places like Florida, but I didn’t think any species of pelican could be found that far north.

Second largest average wingspan of any bird in north America behind the California Condor. They are easily recognizable by the black markings on the undersides of their wings. So cool to see them slowly flapping their wings as they cruise over.

Again, not my photo: