Old 07-28-21, 12:53 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by sd5782
I also just purchased 3 bikes in a lot for cheap as a group. One indeed was an 82 Trek 412. I figure I have maybe $30 invested in it. The beautiful Suntour VXgt that I took off of it was worth what I paid. Here in the Midwest we only get real bad rust if something sits out in the elements. This bike had no rust and the fork looks great.

I am going to build it up as it is in my size and I want to experience the Isiwata 022 tubing, especially as to how it compares to my 83 Trek 700 with full 531. First attempt was a disappointing ride that I attribute to the awful Armadillo protected tires on it. On this one, I am not afraid to ride it, although I am old and slow. Selling it would call up some ethical questions. No monetary loss, but interesting research on this one.
I have one of these as well but I paid a bit more than you did at $50. There were clearly more than $50 worth of parts on the bike. I wouldn't sell it. I can use the headset so I think I'll pull the fork and HS and donate the frame to the bike co op. It's a good frame. I'll hang the fork in my workshop as wall art.

I have a full Ishiwata Trek, a 1979 Trek 510, and it is a fine riding bike.