View Single Post
Old 12-01-22, 11:13 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4394 Post(s)
Liked 4,030 Times in 2,691 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Only place I would distribute repair stuff is on a bike carrying a large bikepacking type seat bag. Then no place for a small seat bag. I tend to carry my mt. bike kit in a CamelBack, because I have the same kit for 2 bikes and do not want to buy 2 complete repair kits and I always use a CamelBack when mt, biking.
Then you wouldn't want to be me...LOL. I have 4-5 kits for different bikes. Most of them are pretty basic and not ridiculously expensive (usually based with a Crank Bros M10 and some form of Topeak bag) but my recent one for my main commuter and the kit I use at work frequently when selling or quick repairs was ridiculous. 12 PB Swiss (two are Wera) Bits in a 3d printed magnetic holder with a short Snap On 1/4 Bit Ratchet. Then for tires I have a Crank Bros Speedier Lever and a Wolf Tooth x Magura 8 bit lever which I really only got for the Magura part but the lever is light enough I just keep it for back up and CO2 and inflator that I had lying about with a patch kit with glued patches and glueless. However I carry around a Topeak Morph pump for longer trips and a little Race Rocket for normal commuting so the CO2 is redundant. It all sits fairly nicely in a Muc-Off Rainproof Essentials case but the Crank Bros lever does bulk it up a bit but I love the lever so not gonna change that. Luckily though this is my most used tool kit and frequently find myself using it more than some of my hex wrenches in the tool box now.

I suspect though with a little work I could move the ratchet and tools to a handle bar end plug type thing or a steerer tube mount but would need a smaller headed ratchet. The Snap-On is too big for most handle bars.

I just hate moving bags around for different bikes due to different tube sizes. My Langster and Chilkoot share a bag because they are both 700x28 so I don't mind swapping a bag the quick fix mounts and I guess my Co-Motion, Privateer and Single Speed/Fixed Gear RandoCross FunTime Machine also use the same tube sizes but my touring kit is a big bag with all sorts of extra junk in case I need it for emergencies but the SS/FG RC FTM has a frame bag and the Privateer has a Moloko bag so I just keep some extra in there and my vintage Phil Wood Apple bike has some older tools I don't use that often and really didn't want the quick fix mount. The mountain bike is a frame bag and a ratchet from Feedback I think that was on clearance somewhere but that set up has yet to get refined and had plans for more internal storage as the thread title suggests.

I guess I like tools a lot and like to be ready just in case. I also have too many bikes and not enough bikes I wish I could somehow store a bike in stasis where nothing would change on it and it would take up almost no space and ride it whenever I wanted that would solve a lot of too many bikes for me and with the ones I don't ride maybe they could be visible in full 360˚ HD imaging so I could stare at it from any device and not have it taking up space.