View Single Post
Old 06-29-22, 12:17 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 916 Times in 537 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Aren't the real ways to minimize damage from the landing to keep yourself from throwing your arms out and bracing? Seems to me the muscle memory we get as cyclists by keeping our balance is basic to the activity of riding, and trying to keep the bike upright right up to the actual crash will probably put you in the best position when you do land..
Pretty much this ^^^
As long as the wheels are on the ground, KEEP RIDING THE BIKE! Started with BMX, then moved up to MTBs and Motos. As the bikes get bigger and speeds get higher, letting go of the bars becomes a worse and worse idea. Throwing a hand out, you give up your steering, brakes (and throttle) in exchange for a sprained/broken wrist. Kicking a foot out or 'dabbing' might be enough to save it, but only if you've still got control of the bars.
Stay with the bike, stay loose (flexed but not floppy) and you might even ride it out.

I don't know who said they "learned to "lay it down" if they were going to hit something, but that is such a dumb idea. "Laying it down" means that you've decided to initiate a crash rather than attempt to avoid it (and maybe make it) I don't know if that's more of a reflection of the bike's handling capability or the rider's skill level.
I'll take a slim chance of making it, over a 100% decision to hit the deck, every time.
Likes For Ironfish653: