Thread: Canadian Border
View Single Post
Old 03-11-21, 03:45 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
Interesting article. Couple of things caught my attention. (1) "Thereality ... is we’re still six months away from any meaningful air travel," (this is a recent blurb -- puts us in September); (2) "Ultimately, the resumption of international travel will depend as much on countries’ willingness to reopen as it does on the travel verification technology in place."

My bet would be that frequent flyers registered on fast border controls such as Nexus or Parafe will have the option to add vaccine information. And that countries such as Canada and the US (or Schengen) will make it easier for these travellers to enter their space with less hassle than now, perhaps as early as late May. I would also think that next Fall is a reasonable target for "motivated" travel, such as visiting family.

Less clear for tourism. My expectation is we'll have to settle for regional touring this summer (i.e. free to travel where there were no border controls) but that it will take quite some time before things get back to preCOVID. As I said, I hope that "motivated travel" (ex: visiting family) will be possible in developed countries by this Fall. I'd think that more open access will depend on the vaccines track record. I am hopeful that we'll be able to ride a bike for the fun of it, in another country, next year.
A friend of mine was planning on LEJOG this fall (that is in the UK), I told him that I do not want to plan on anything until next year. I think a bike trip like he is talking about that relies on restaurants and indoor lodging, it is impossible to saw now who will still be in business in half a year.

i am planning on foreign travel in 2021, likely Europe.

Between USA and Canada, I would not be surprised if ground transportation is less stringent than air transport. For example, in USA you can get a passport card, that is the size of a credit card. I have ridden my bike across the Canada/USA border with just the passport card, but the card is not valid for international air transportation, for that you need the passport book.