Thread: Titanium Bikes
View Single Post
Old 09-29-20, 06:21 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 1,181 Posts
I think titanium is, in theory, the perfect material for a bike frame. Has none of the drawbacks of Alu, carbon or steel. It’s a bit harder to dial in the ride characteristics, which is reasonably easy in carbon, not so much Alu or steel.

That said, my experience with titanium was with a Lemond Victorie, which was a warranty replacement frame for a cracked Klein, all when Trek had taken over these businesses. It was not a good design. It had none of the earlier Lemond geometry, was a run of the mill design when I built it. A very soft bottom bracket as it turned out, with pronounced rub of the front derailer on the chain when standing, sprinting, etc.... to the extent that I ended up with Campy shifters and front derailer as that was the only system that had the ability to trim the derailer position to avoid rub. Then the paint flaked off in the first year, it was re-painted by Trek under warranty, then that paint flaked off within year 2 and they declined to warranty that crap paint job. Titanium is difficult to paint and Trek sucked at it. Trek sucks at warranties as well.

I am as result, hesitant to try titanium again, even though I think the material yields a beautiful looking bike. Maybe some day I’ll try a Habernaro. Who knows.