Old 03-28-22, 09:29 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
I bought one of those disc brake locks a decade ago but decided it was not for me. It was more difficult to use compared to simply locking my rear wheel and frame to a fixed object. If somebody does move the trike with the lock in place, it can damage the rotor or brake mechanism. That's expensive to fix. Mostly I consider any lock just a deterrent for someone trying to hop on my trike and take if for a ride. You could thread the cable through the front wheel and chainring and then lock it to a fixed object. I had one regular bike stolen years ago here in town even though it was securely locked. I would never leave my bike or trike locked in a sketchier part of town after that. I was only gone for about 10 minutes and within that time somebody stole it.

Is there a big market in used bike flags? I don't see any regular riders using flags. About the only ones who do are trike riders.
I can see stupid teenagers taking a cool flag. They take useless things all the time around here out of boredom and then leave them a few blocks away after they lose interest. I live in an urban area. Bike theft is constant. Yeah, I had a bike locked up thru the chainring once, a folding bike so not lots of options, and someone tried to pull it loose and bent the chain ring pretty good. I had to replace it, it was too warped to repair. So yes, I will run a cable thru the wheels and chainring and I think the Onguard Brute lock looks wide enough at the arch end to get enough angle off the boom to put around a vertical pole. I'm going to pick one up at REI and can return it if is doesn't fit that way. I'll use my mini u-lock to secure the rear wheel to the seat adjustment and then run a cable thru the seat and rear rack. Hopefully that will be enough to deter the bad guys. I've been riding a folding Bike Friday that never left my hand the last few years because I got tired of the anxiety of wondering if my bike would still be there after I shopped or went to a movie or whatever. Hoping the recumbent will not recreate that anxiety..