View Single Post
Old 06-13-22, 02:30 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
They always have 3 guys working on bikes each time I am in their main store, so I assume they are getting parts. Maybe they are only taking repairs that are serviceable given current inventory? So they arent taking bikes that want GRX Silver groupsets installed, but are taking bikes that need a new 8sp chain and cassette, for example. <--total hypothetical. Not really sure what is or isnt in stock since I dont work there. I do see a lot of accessories and softgoods that are missing or have been replaced by less impressive alternatives. The shop used to carry a lot of Giro helmets and now carry 2 models. Meanwhile, they have expanded the Lazer and Bontrager offerings(this may be an intentional decision and not a supply based decision).
I work super part-time at a local shop, and we are able to do repairs, but sometimes we have to make the old stuff work until new parts come in. We've also had customers source parts themselves that we install for them -- with no hurt feelings on the shop's part -- and once or twice we've even purchased parts at full retail just to get a bike finished. We don't make profit on those parts, obviously, but it keeps the customers happy and we still get the labor fee. So far, most people have been understanding when we've had to make substitutions based on availability -- thank you, Micro Shift cassettes -- but it's not the way anyone wants to be doing things. C'est la vie.
Likes For Rolla: