View Single Post
Old 07-06-22, 12:12 PM
bikethis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
1- a chain tensioner typically mounts to the same hole that a rear derailleur threads into. Just put your hanger back on the bike.
2- If you use the middle ring of your current crankset, you need to make sure the chain is shortened to accommodate for the smaller ring. Also, that middle ring is usually ramped to aid in easy shifting. This means it is not designed to hold onto the chain, and with single speed you want to hold onto the chain.

Personally? I would question if single speed with a chain tensioner is worth the time and result. You lose out on the direct feel of single speed when you have a chain tensioner. And I would buy a narrow-wide chainring to hold the chain better then remove the other rings up front.

If you are going to just have a tensioner and keep your current triple crankset, why do the conversion at all? Just ride the bike as is in whatever single gear you want and call it good. Just dont shift and you will have the same setup you are spending time and money on achieving.
Thanks for the info. I think moving forward I actually will just buy a narrow wide chainring and attach it to my current crank. I've been doing some more digging I think I may actually be able to use my current rear derailuer to act as my tensioner. I definitely want to go with the single speed because it means I can remove some excess weight from the bike. My cassette, front derailuer and gear shifters. I also think it looks a lot "cleaner" having the single speed setup as opposed to just hard using the same gear as it currently is