Old 09-07-21, 08:25 PM
molleraj

Bikes: 1993 (?) BikeE CT RoadE edition, 2007 (?) Dahon Speed D7, 2003 (?) Specialized Globe Sport, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate 5-speed, 1974 Panasonic Sport Deluxe, 1982 Peugeot P8

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
I am glad to see you posting pictures of your bike and riding it as much as you have. It is nice to see something like this on the C&V thread. I have learned so much from this forum. A quality Huffy? Yea, this looks to be a well made Japanese bike that is worthy of posting here. It looks great, and seems to get you around just fine. I love the fenders that it has.

Sheldon Brown says that the early Shimano 333 hubs had some issues. The later ones were better. When I worked in a bike shop in the early 80's we had almost no issues with these Shimano hubs, We sold Panasonic and Ross bikes with these hubs. My dad picked up a Sear Three speed bike that I borrowed a lot . I rode it to school and all over the neighborhood. Being a teen, I might have been a bit harsh with it too. It survived fine. This is just based on my limited experience.
Happy to share and happy that you enjoy the photos! This is indeed a Japanese OEM bike built for Huffy, Sekai, and Bridgestone, at least. It does look good, hehe. The fenders are aluminum I think. Someone on the DC metro was super curious about it this morning and had lots of questions :-)

Indeed I had heard the 60s era 333s were crummy but this 1981 3S is a delight as you said. Shimano apparently worked out their IGH quality issues in the 70s. Thanks for corroborating! I don't want suddenly snapping pawls in the middle of a commute :-(

If I remember right, those Sears three speeds were no slouch. Weren't they Austro-Daimler or Puch built?