Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by The_woo
For an example, go watch the olympic mountain biking - a guy lost his podium place from his tubeless tyre unseating far into the race.

Dynaplugs aren't sold locally to me, promoted or given out to new owners of bikes that come tubeless from the factory. Despite them apparently being the only way to fix a decent sized puncture in a tubeless road tyre.

Giant stores in the UK have started delivering bikes with tubeless already setup. But they don't teach the customer how it works, give them any spare sealant, plugs, boots etc.

That combined with their factory tyres being **** (and I assume they use some **** Giant brand sealant) means that the club I ride with has had 100% of punctures in the last 3 months be tubeless users.

None of them fixed themselves, none of the riders had plugs, boot, gloves, extra sealant etc. Each one was a mess for someone to fix with a new tube and took an age.

This is especially annoying for our club as we have lots of women riders who've bought Liv bikes (giant sub brand for women), and being unable to just fix a flat on their new setups without help did not go down well.

No tube users have had a puncture in that time - though of course this is likely due to better tyres & luck.

I generally get less than 1 puncture a year riding GP5000 and similar road tyres and can't see myself ever considering tubeless unless forced onto it by a new bike with hookless rims.
Wow. Almost sounds like your club did a group buy of bikes. But, just so you know. Just like disc brakes, the consumer is telling the industry that they want tubeless every time they buy a TL-setup bike.
Likes For Sy Reene: