Old 09-28-21, 11:02 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I've got reservations about whether or not you're being forthright, the purpose of your posts, and the severity of the issue, as you've pointedly ignored questions to that affect, but I'll give one good faith effort to help, since I'm such a nice guy.

First, in 20,000+ miles of road tubeless use, I've had two or three occasions to use plugs, so you've got the emphasis in the wrong place - the sealant is the low-hanging fruit that should be addressed first. If their sealant isn't routinely sealing ~4mm and smaller punctures, they've got some poor performing sealant and it should be swapped out. I always recommend Orange Seal.

For punctures 5mm+ (which I hope are rare), yeah, plugs are nice. No need to recommend specific brands - it's not rocket science. Just do a search for "tubeless plugs" or "bacon strip tubeless plugs."

For large cuts that can't be addressed by sealant or plugs, any boot that would be appropriate for a tubed system will be appropriate for booting and tubing a tubeless tire.
I've used Gorilla tape in a pinch. Held perfectly fine but when it came time to pull the tire, I replaced it with a Rema patch.
Likes For caloso: